Vinegar and water are used as an inexpensive substitute for wine to cook this lamb roll.
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 pound mushrooms, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 bunch of watercress
2 ounce cooked ham, cut into strips
2 tablespoons fresh white breadcrumbs
freshly ground black pepper
1 large, meaty breast of lamb, trimmed of excess fat and boned
1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/2 cup water
to serve hot
white sauce (below)
1 teaspoon mustard
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon fine sugar
1. Melt the butter in a frying-pan. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook until most of the moisture has evaporated. Remove from the heat.
2. Snip the watercress leaves from the stems, reserving the latter then blanch the leaves in boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain and squeeze dry. Chop the leaves finely and add to the mushrooms. Stir in the ham and breadcrumbs. Season.
3. Lay the meat flat, fat side down, and spread with the mushroom stuffing. Roll up and tie with string.
4. Place the lamb roll in a saucepan which is a good fit with 6 watercress stems and the bayleaf. Add the vinegar and just enough hot water to cover the meat and bring to the boil. Skim off the scum that rises to the surface, then cover the pan and simmer very gently for 1 — 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
5. Heat all the ingredients for the sauce, pour it into a gravy boat to pass.
to make the white sauce
1 1/4 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
salt and white pepper
pinch of nutmeg or mace
1. To make a roux, melt the butter in a pan. Off" the heat add the flour and stir in. Return to the heat and cook for 2 minutes, stirring continually.
2. For a white sauce, warm the milk in a separate pan. Heat through for easing blending but on no account let it boil.
3. Off the heat add a little warm milk to the roux. Stir vigorously until blended. Add the remaining milk, stirring all the time.
4. Return to the heat, stirring all the time. Bring to the boil. Add seasonings then cover and cook over a low heat for up to 5 minutes.
Cooking time: about 1 1/2 hours