4 salmon fillets, with skin, about 6 ounce each
salt and pepper
1 tbsp oil
caper and lemon butter sauce
1/2 cup butter
4 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp white wine vinegar
2 large egg yolks
1 - 2 tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
1. First make the sauce. Slowly melt the butter in a pan over a low heat. Pour the lemon juice and vinegar into another pan and bring to the boil.
2. Meanwhile, whiz the egg yolks in a blender or food processor for 10 seconds, then with the motor running, add the hot vinegar mixture. Increase the heat under the butter and quickly bring to the boil. Again with the motor running, trickle the hot butter on to the egg mixture. When it is all incorporated the sauce should be the thickness of lightly whipped cream. Spoon it into a small bowl and fold in the capers to taste. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, season the salmon and put skin-side down on a foil-lined grill pan. Brush with the oil and broil under a medium heat for about 1 minute.
4. Turn skin-side up and broil under a high heat for a further 4 - 5 minutes until the skin is crisp and golden and the salmon is just cooked through.
5. Lift on to warmed serving plates and top with the butter sauce.
variation; Omit the capers and flavour the butter sauce with 2 tsp chopped tarragon.
63 users have helped to rate this recipe.