Cooking time: 1 hour 20 minutes
2 medium-sized cauliflowers, broken into florets
1 1/2 pound potatoes, quartered
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 cups Gruyere or Cheddar cheese, grated
2. Cook the cauliflower florets in boiling salted water until tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling water until tender. Drain both vegetables well and puree through a foodmill into one saucepan.
4. Add the butter, cayenne and seasoning and mash together.
5. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in all but 3 tablespoons of the cheese.
6. Ladle into a greased 2 1/4 qt bowl, or a cake pan 7 1/2 inch diameter and 3 inch deep. Cover tightly with foil.
7. Place the bowl in a baking pan, pour boiling water around it and bake for 1 hour.
8. Turn out the bread onto a warmed ovenproof serving dish. Sprinkle over the reserved cheese and return to the oven.
9. Bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Serve hot.
Serve cauliflower bread with broiled steak or roast meat.