These fluffy little aigrettes can be served as a first course for 6. With a spicy tomato sauce they will make a light lunch for 4.
choux pastry (below)
1/2 cup strong Cheddar cheese, grated
pinch of mustard
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Heat the oil in a deep fat fryer to 190°C (350°F) or until it will brown a cube of bread in 40 seconds.
2. Make the choux, adding the cheese, mustard powder and pepper with the eggs. Dot on to a baking sheet with a tablespoon.
3. Flick the balls on to a slotted spoon with a spatula and lower into the fat. Cook for 6 - 7 minutes.
4. Lift out on to a dish lined with absorbent paper and keep warm until all are fried.
5. Transfer to a warmed serving dish and sprinkle with the grated Parmesan and paprika to serve.
2/3 cup All purpose flour
2 medium-sized eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter or margarine
pinch of salt
2/3 cup water
1. Sift the flour onto a piece of paper and put ready. Whisk the eggs lightly. Put the butter, salt and water in a pan.
2. Bring the water to the boil so that the butter melts. Off the heat tip in all the flour at once. Beat until smooth.
3. Return the pan to low heat and beat vigorously for 1 - 2 minutes until the water evaporates and the dough forms a ball.
4. Take the pan off the heat and cool for 2 minutes. Beat in the eggs a little at a time.
76 users have helped to rate this recipe.