makes about 35 - 40
6 ounce block firm feta cheese
4 ounce mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup All purpose flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
oil, for deep-frying
1. Cut the feta and mozzarella into 3/4 inch cubes. Combine the flour and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper on a sheet of greaseproof paper. Toss the cheese lightly in the seasoned flour and shake off the excess.
2. Dip the cheese into the egg a few pieces at a time. Coat with breadcrumbs and shake off the excess. Repeat the process with the remaining cheese and crumbs.
3. Arrange on a foil-lined tray and refrigerate, covered, for 25 minutes.
4. Heat 1 1/4 inches oil in a deep skillet to 180°C (350°F). The oil is ready when a cube of bread browns in 15 seconds. Cook a few pieces of cheese at a time over medium heat, for 2 — 3 minutes each batch, or until golden and crisp.
5. Drain on crumpled paper towels. Serve.
Serve cheese fritters with sweet chilli, plum or cranberry sauce.