This delicate chicken curry, lightly flavoured with spices and spinach, is easily made in one large saucepan and served simply with hot naan bread for a relaxed but satisfying supper.
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 small onion
1 clove garlic
2 thin slices fresh root ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cilantro
1/4 teaspoon ground chilli
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
2 ripe tomatoes
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 6 ounce each
Salt and black pepper
5/8 cup heavy cream
4 large naan breads
8 ounce baby spinach
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a moderate heat. Peel and chop the onion and fry it in the oil. Peel and crush the garlic and stir it into the onion.
2. Peel and finely chop the ginger and stir it into the onion with the spices. Cook for a minute, or until the onion is slightly crisp.
3. Rinse the tomatoes, roughly chop them, and add them to the saucepan. Fry over a gentle heat for 7 minutes, until the tomatoes cook down to a dry pulp.
4. Meanwhile, remove any tough sinews from the chicken and cut it into bite-sized chunks.
5. Preheat the grill to high for the bread. When the tomatoes are ready increase the heat to high, add the chicken and stir-fry it until all the pieces have turned white. Season with salt and pepper, then pour in the cream and simmer for 6 minutes.
6. Put the naans under the grill to heat through. Meanwhile, rinse and dry the spinach, if necessary
7. Add the spinach to the curry, press it down and stir continuously until it wilts. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat at once and serve, with the naans.