1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Place the poussins in roasting tin. Brush with oil and season well. Roast for 30 minutes, or until juices from the legs run clear when pierced with a skewer.
3. Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cut into thin, matchstick chips. Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 340°F (170°C). Fry chips for 3 - 5 minutes till golden. Drain well.
4. Arrange napkins in two small baskets. Place chips in folds of cloth. Place poussins in baskets. Garnish with parsley sprigs and onion rings. Eat with your fingers or a knife and fork if preferred. Variation
5. To make barbecue-style poussins, mix together 2 tbsp tomato puree, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp oil, 1 peeled and crushed garlic clove and seasoning. Spread over poussins, cover with foil and roast for 40 minutes. Serve as above.