serves 4 to 6
3 1/2 pound roasting chicken, boned
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 pint chicken stock
3 tablespoons sherry
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons Butter
1/2 pound each of veal and ham, minced
3 tablespoons fresh white breadcrumbs
2 teaspoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon chopped tarragon
grated rind and juice of 1/2 lemon
1 egg, beaten
1. Open out the chicken and season well.
2. For the stuffing, fry the onion in the butter until soft.
3. Cool, then mix with the meats, breadcrumbs, herbs and lemon rind.
4. Bind with the lemon juice and egg, and add seasoning. Spread this stuffing in the bird and sew up.
5. Spread the 1/4 cup butter over the chicken, place in a roasting tin and pour in the stock and sherry.
6. Cook in a moderately hot oven (190°c, 375°f) for 1 1/2 hours, basting well.
7. Serve the chicken sliced.