For a gathering of children, serve Chocolate tops sandwiched with strawberry spread.
1 pound self rising flour
1 level teaspoon salt
1/2 cup margarine
1/4 cup superfine sugar
2 medium eggs, beaten
milk to mix
6 x 1 ounce squares plain chocolate
strawberry spread (optional)
1. Preheat oven to hot, 230°C (450°F).
2. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
3. Sift the flour with the salt into a bowl.
4. Rub in the margarine.
5. Stir in the sugar.
6. Add the beaten eggs and just enough milk to mix to a soft, light dough.
7. Roll out the dough to at least 1/2 inch thickness.
8. Using a plain 2 inch pastry cutter, cut out 14 rounds.
9. Put the rounds on the prepared baking sheets and bake in centre of preheated oven for 10 - 15 minutes or until golden.
10. Leave the scones to cool on a wire rack.
11. Melt the chocolate in a basin over a pan of gently simmering water.
12. Dip the top of each scone in melted chocolate to coat. Leave to become hard and set.
13. Split the scones in half and sandwich with strawberry spread, if wished. Serve within 3 hours of adding the chocolate.
Cooking chocolate comes in plain or milk chocolate bars and directions for use are on the packet. Confectionery chocolate can be used in some cooking but take care not to melt over direct heat. Use a bowl standing over hot, not boiling, water and do not keep the chocolate waiting long or it will dry dull.