1 pint heavy cream
1 cup + 2 tablespoons desiccated coconut
1/2 cup Confectioner’s sugar, sifted
1 egg separated
4 ounce plain chocolate, grated
FOR THE SUNDAE
4 fresh peaches or
8 canned peach halves
1 recipe Melba Sauce (below)
1. whipped cream and toasted coconut flakes to decorate
2. Place the cream and coconut in a saucepan and cook, over a low heat, for about 10 minutes. Stir in the sugar and allow to cool. When cool, beat in the egg yolk and pour into freezer trays. Freeze until half frozen. Whisk the half-frozen ice cream to remove all the ice crystals, then fold in the chocolate. Whisk the egg white until stiff and fold into the ice cream. Freeze until firm.
3. Meanwhile, if using fresh peaches, poach them in boiling water with a little sugar until they are tender — about 4 minutes. Cool, peel, halve and remove the stones.
4. To assemble the sundaes, place a scoop of coconut ice cream in the bottom of each of four tall glasses. Top each with two peach halves and melba sauce.
5. Decorate with whipped cream and toasted coconut flakes. Serve with crisp dessert biscuits.
To prepare a melba sauce, puree 1/2 pound raspberries and press the puree through a sieve.
Sprinkle in 4 to 5 tablespoons Confectioner’s sugar, according to taste, and stir until dissolved.