Fresh cranberries are available throughout the winter months and if you don't use them all at once, they can be frozen for up to a year.
makes 1 ring cake
2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup light muscovado sugar
1 crisp eating apple, cored and diced
2/3 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
4 tbsp sunflower oil
2/3 cup apple juice
cranberry jelly and apple slices, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Lightly grease a 4 cup ring tin with oil.
2. Sift together the flour and ground cinnamon, then stir in the sugar.
3. Toss together the diced apple and cranberries. Stir into the dry ingredients, then add the oil and apple juice and beat well.
4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared ring tin and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until the cake is firm to the touch. Turn out and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
5. To serve, drizzle warmed cranberry jelly over the cake and decorate with apple slices.