Wheat tortillas are extremely simple to prepare at home. Served with a crisp, fresh salsa, they make a marvellous starter, light lunch or supper dish.
2 cups All purpose flour, sifted
pinch of salt
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 - 2/3 cup warm water
lime wedges, to garnish
for the salsa
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill or cilantro
1/2 cucumber, peeled and chopped
2 cups alfalfa sprouts
for the sauce
1 large ripe avocado, peeled and stoned
juice of 1 lime
1 tbsp soft goat's cheese
pinch of paprika
1. Mix all the salsa ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
2. For the sauce, place the avocado, lime juice and goat's cheese in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Place in a bowl and cover with clear film. Dust with paprika just before serving.
3. For the tortillas, place the flour and salt in a food processor or blender, add the oil and process. Gradually add the water until a stiff dough has formed. Turn out on to a floured board and knead until smooth.
4. Divide the mixture into eight pieces. Knead each piece for a couple of minutes and form into a ball. Flatten and roll out each ball to a 9 inch circle.
5. Heat a non-stick or ungreased heavy-based pan. Cook one tortilla at a time for about 30 seconds on each side. Place the cooked tortillas in a clean dish towel and repeat until you have made eight tortillas.
6. Spread each tortilla with a spoonful of avocado sauce, top with the salsa and roll up. Serve garnished with lime wedges and eat immediately.
When peeling the avocado be sure to scrape off the bright green flesh from immediately under the skin as this gives the sauce its vivid green colour.