serves 8 - 12
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons whole egg mayonnaise
1 3/4 CUPS chives, finely chopped
1 pound cream cheese, softened to room temperature
3 ounce black caviar
10 ounce sour cream
extra chives, snipped, and black caviar, for serving
1. Fill a pan with cold water and gently add the eggs. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 7 minutes. Drain and plunge the eggs in cold water to stop the cooking process. Cool thoroughly and drain.
2. Line a deep loose-based fluted flan tin (about 7 inches in diameter) with plastic wrap, leaving a wide overhang to help you remove the moulded dip from the tin.
3. Peel and mash the eggs, add the parsley and mayonnaise, and season with salt and pepper.
4. Divide the egg mixture in half. Spoon one half into the lined tin. Firmly press down and smooth the surface with a spatula or the back of a spoon, pressing well into the side of the tin. Sprinkle with half the chives, pressing them down into the dip. Using a clean, warm spatula, spread with half the cream cheese to form another layer. Spoon half the caviar over the cream cheese and press down gently.
5. Repeat the layering with the remaining egg mixture, chives, cream cheese and caviar. Cover the moulded dip with plastic wrap, pressing down firmly so the layers stick together, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
6. Remove the top cover of plastic wrap and place a plate over the mould. Flip over onto the plate while holding the tin and gently ease the tin off. Carefully remove the plastic wrap, trying not to damage the fluted edges.
7. Spoon dollops of sour cream over the top of the mould and spread a little. Decorate with the extra snipped chives and a few spoonfuls of caviar. Serve with water crackers.