4 large cod, haddock or halibut steaks
1/2 cup seasoned flour
1 egg, beaten
1 cup rolled oats
4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) oil
For the Sauce
3 tablespoons tomato paste
3 tablespoons soft brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 small garlic clove, crushed
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/4 cups pineapple juice
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons of the pineapple juice
1. Coat the fish steaks first with the flour, then with egg and finally with the oats.
2. Heat the oil in a frying-pan. Add the fish steaks and brown on both sides. Remove the steaks from the pan.
3. Add the sauce ingredients, except the cornstarch, to the pan and bring to the boil, stirring.
4. Stir in the cornstarch and simmer for 2 minutes.
5. Return the fish steaks to the pan. Cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes or until the fish is cooked through.