This unusual rice pudding looks beautiful turned out of a ring mould but if you prefer, stir the fruit into the rice and serve in individual dishes.
5 tbsp short grain rice
3 3/4 cups semi-skimmed milk
1 cinnamon stick
1 1/2 cups dried fruit salad
3/4 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons superfine sugar
finely grated rind of 1 small orange
1. Place the rice, milk and cinnamon stick in a large pan and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 1 1/2 hours, until no free liquid remains.
2. Meanwhile, place the fruit and orange juice in a pan and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer very gently for about 1 hour, until tender and no free liquid remains.
3. Remove the cinnamon stick from the rice and stir in the sugar and orange rind.
4. Tip the fruit into the base of a lightly oiled 6 cup ring mould. Spoon the rice over, smoothing down firmly. Chill.
5. Run a knife around the edge of the mould and turn out the rice carefully on to a serving plate.