Cooking time: 2 1/2 hours
3 tablespoons cooking oil
2 pound chuck steak, trimmed and cubed
1 pound onions, sliced
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 tablespoons paprika
freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup hot stock
1 bay leaf
1 pound potatoes, peeled and sliced
2/3 cup sour cream
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. Brown the meat, in batches, stirring frequently.
2. Keep warm. Add the onions to the pan and fry for about 8 minutes or until transparent.
3. Stir in the garlic, paprika, caraway seeds, salt and pepper. Return the beef to the pan and mix well.
4. Add the stock and bay leaf to the pan, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
5. Add the potatoes and simmer for another hour.
6. To serve, discard the bay leaf, check seasoning and remove from the heat.
7. Pour over the sour cream.
34 users have helped to rate this recipe.