1 cup All purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup Cheddar, grated
1 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
3/8 cup cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
7/8 cup Cheddar, grated
1. Preheat the oven to moderately hot 190°C (375°F). Line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. To make the biscuit pastry, sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl and add the chopped butter. Rub in with your fingertips, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Make a well in the centre and add the egg, cheese, herbs and 1 tablespoon iced water. Mix with a flat-bladed knife, using a cutting action until the mixture comes together in beads. Gently gather together and lift out onto a lightly floured surface. Press together into a ball.
4. Roll the pastry between sheets of baking paper to 1/8 inch thickness. Remove the top sheet of paper and cut the pastry into rounds, using a 2 inch cutter. Place the rounds onto the trays. Re-roll the remaining pastry and repeat cutting. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
5. To make the filling, beat the cream cheese and butter in a small bowl with electric beaters until light and creamy. Add the herbs, pepper and cheese and beat until smooth. Spread half a teaspoon of filling on half of the biscuits and sandwich together with the remaining biscuits. NOTE: You can use freshly chopped lemon thyme instead of parsley.
36 users have helped to rate this recipe.
The biscuits can be made 2 days ahead and stored in an airtight container, or frozen. The filling can be made a day ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.