Cooking time: 15 minutes plus 3 hours setting time
serves 4 - 6
2 tablespoons gelatin
2 tablespoons water
2 large eggs, separated
1/3 cup fine sugar
1 2/3 cups milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
1. Put the gelatin to soak in the water in a small cup.
2. Beat the egg yolks and sugar together until pale and frothy.
3. Put the milk in the top of a double boiler and scald, then pour on to the egg yolk mixture, beating constantly.
4. Return to the pan, add the softened gelatin and cook, stirring, until the custard thickens and the gelatin dissolves.
5. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
6. Beat the egg whites until stiff.
7. Fold into the still warm custard, then pour into a rinsed out 1 qt mould. Chill until set.
37 users have helped to rate this recipe.