1 1/4 pound ground lamb or beef
2.5 cm (1 in) piece ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon hot chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground cilantro
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
8 hard-boiled eggs
oil for deep frying
1. Combine the meat, ginger, chilli powder, cumin, cilantro, onion, garlic, flour, seasoning and egg, using your hands to mix the ingredients thoroughly.
2. Divide the meat mixture into 8 portions and use each one to enclose a hard-boiled egg. Chill for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator until quite firm.
3. Heat the oil to 190°C (375°F) or until a cube of stale bread dropped in turns golden in 40 seconds.
4. Fry the egg and meat balls, in batches, for 2 - 3 minutes or until a rich brown.
5. Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot.
47 users have helped to rate this recipe.
Cooking time: 4 - 6 minutes plus chilling and draining