Celery, jugged with apples, bacon and walnuts makes a novel family supper dish.
Cooking time: 1 3/4 - 2 1/4 hours
8 lean bacon slices
10 large tart apples, halved
2 cups water
2 tablespoons sugar
pinch of ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
freshly ground black pepper
1 large bunch of celery, cut into
4 inch pieces
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Heat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
2. Lay half the bacon on the bottom of a small, greased casserole.
3. Put the apples in a saucepan with the water. Cook gently for 20 minutes or until the apples are very soft.
4. Puree the apples through a strainer or food mill, discarding the peel, core and seeds.
5. Add the sugar, spices and seasoning to the puree and mix well. Spoon the puree into the casserole.
6. Stand the celery pieces upright in the puree and sprinkle the walnuts on top. Cover with the remaining bacon.
7. Bake for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until the celery is tender.
8. Serve hot straight from the casserole.
53 users have helped to rate this recipe.