If you haven't sampled kohlrabi, or have only eaten it in stews where its flavour is lost, this dish is recommended. The slightly sharp flavour of the peppers are an excellent foil to the more earthy flavour of the kohlrabi.
4 small kohlrabies, about 6 - 8 ounce each
about 2/3 cup hot vegetable stock
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion, chopped
1 small red pepper, seeded and sliced
1 small green pepper, seeded and sliced
salt and black pepper
flat leaf parsley, to garnish (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Trim and top and tail the kohlrabies and arrange in the base of a medium-sized ovenproof dish.
2. Pour over the stock to come about halfway up the vegetables. Cover and braise in the oven for about 30 minutes, until tender. Transfer to a plate and allow to cool, reserving the stock.
3. Heat the oil in a skillet and fry the onion for 3-4 minutes over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally. Add the peppers and cook for a further 2 - 3 minutes, until the onion is lightly browned.
4. Add the reserved vegetable stock and a little seasoning and simmer, uncovered, over a moderate heat until the stock has almost evaporated.
5. Scoop out the insides of the kohlrabies and chop roughly. Stir into the onion and pepper mixture, taste and adjust the seasoning. Arrange the shells in a shallow ovenproof dish.
6. Spoon the filling into the kohlrabi shells. Put in the oven for 5-10 minutes to heat through and then serve, garnished with a sprig of flat leaf parsley, if liked.
14 users have helped to rate this recipe.