6 ounce unsmoked rindless fatty bacon, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled
pinch of ground cinnamon
1 1/2 pound lean lamb mince
salt and pepper
3 tbsp olive oil
3/4 pint dry white wine
4 tbsp chopped dill, plus extra sprigs to garnish
1/2 pint heavy cream
2 egg yolks
1. Put the scallions, bacon, garlic and cinnamon into a food processor and blend until almost smooth. Add the lamb mince and season with plenty of salt and pepper. Process until well mixed and smooth.
2. With wet hands, shape the mixture into 30-36 even-sized balls.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and brown the meatballs in batches, then transfer to a shallow ovenproof dish. Pour the wine into the skillet and bring to the boil, scraping up any sediment from the bottom. Pour over the meatballs, cover and bake at 180°C (160°C fan oven) for 1 hour.
4. Pour the cooking liquid into a pan; cover the meatballs and keep warm. Bring the liquid to the boil and boil rapidly until reduced to 1/2 pint. Lower the heat and stir in the chopped dill, cream and egg yolks. Stir over a gentle heat for about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened; do not allow to boil. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
5. Put the meatballs on warmed plates and spoon the sauce over them. Garnish with dill and serve with new potatoes or buttered noodles.