Cool, sharp lime and hot, spicy ginger flavour the feather - light, low-fat cheese and yoghurt topping and also the sweetened breadcrumb base that adds crunch and texture to this zesty cheesecake.
1 1/2 tablespoons sweet butter
1 cup fine breadcrumbs, lightly toasted
3/8 cup superfine sugar
Grated rind and juice of 3 limes
1 1/2 level teaspoons ground ginger
3 tablespoons cold water
1 level tablespoon powdered gelatine
11 oz (300 g) quark or low-fat fromage frais
3/4 cup low-fat natural yoghurt
6 tablespoons skimmed milk
Slices of lime, cut into quarters, for decoration
1. Line the bottom of a spring-clip cake pan, 8 1/2 inch in diameter, with nonstick baking paper. To prepare the cheesecake base, melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Take it off the heat and mix in the breadcrumbs, 1 level teaspoon of the sugar, 1/2 level teaspoon of the lime rind and 1/2 level teaspoon of the ginger. Spread the mixture evenly over the bottom of the tin, pressing it down firmly. Chill in the refrigerator while preparing the filling.
2. Put the water in a small saucepan and sprinkle the gelatine evenly on top. Leave for 5 minutes to let the gelatine swell, then stir over a low heat until the gelatine dissolves.
3. Mix the quark or fromage frais with the yoghurt, milk and remaining sugar in a bowl. Add the remaining lime rind, the lime juice, the remaining ginger and the dissolved gelatine, and stir until thoroughly combined. Cover and leave until the mixture begins to thicken.
4. Pour the mixture onto the bread base without disturbing it, then refrigerate for at least 5 hours until firmly set.
5. Run a knife round the cheesecake and take off the side of the tin. Carefully lift the cheesecake with fish slices or palette knives onto a flat plate, then ease out the baking paper. Decorate with slices of lime to serve.
40 users have helped to rate this recipe.