2 tablespoons margarine
1/2 pound onions, peeled and sliced
1 can, 1/2 pound tomatoes
3 ounce short cut macaroni
3 tablespoons margarine
1/3 cup All purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 pint macaroni liquid (see method)
1 3/4 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
1 level teaspoon made English mustard
salt and cayenne pepper
5/8 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
5/8 cup tomatoes, sliced
4 ounce fatty bacon rashers, de-rinded
1 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to moderately hot, 190°C (375°F).
2. Melt the margarine in a pan, add the onions and cook gently until tender then stir in the tomatoes and turn the mixture into a greased ovenproof dish.
3. Cook the macaroni in boiling, salted water for about 15 minutes, or until a piece feels tender.
4. Drain it, reserving 1/4 pint liquid for the sauce.
5. Melt the margarine in a pan and stir in the flour.
6. Gradually blend in the cold milk then stir in the macaroni liquid.
7. Return the pan to the heat and stirring all the time, bring to the boil.
8. Simmer for a few minutes to thicken.
9. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the grated cheese, with the mustard, salt and cayenne pepper to season.
10. Stir in the macaroni then turn it into the dish on top of the tomato and onion mixture.
11. Mix the grated cheese and breadcrumbs together for the top and sprinkle them thickly over the macaroni mixture.
12. Arrange the tomato slices and bacon rashers on the surface of the macaroni cheese and brush the tomato slices with the melted margarine.
13. Cook in the centre of the oven for 40 - 45 minutes until the surface is golden brown and bubbling.
55 users have helped to rate this recipe.