2 tablespoons oil
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
4 lean bacon slices, diced
1 1/2 pound peas, weighed after shelling
1 cup water
1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
1/2 teaspoon fresh dill, chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3/4 pound macaroni
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup thin cream
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan. Fry the onion and bacon until the onion is softened. Stir in the peas, water, herbs and seasoning and bring to the boil.
2. Simmer for 10 - 12 minutes or until the peas are tender.
3. Meanwhile, cook the macaroni in boiling salted water with the oil for 15 minutes or until it is tender. Drain and keep hot.
4. Puree the pea sauce and return to the saucepan. Stir in the cream and heat through gently.
5. Add the butter to the macaroni and stir until well coated. Pile the macaroni in a warmed serving dish and pour over the pea sauce. Serve with the cheese. Cooking time: 20 minutes
28 users have helped to rate this recipe.