Any firm-fleshed fish cut into small pieces can he used for this deep-fried, crisp fish dish.
1 pound whiting fillets, cut into 2 inch strips
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
10 anchovy fillets
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
3 tablespoons All purpose flour
1 large egg
oil for deep frying
1. Put the lemon juice, pepper, mustard and oregano into a bowl and mix. Chop the anchovy fillets finely and add with the olive oil and parsley. Mix well.
2. Put in the fish, stir gently for a few seconds to mix the marinade with the fish. Cover the dish loosely and leave in a cool place for at least 1 - 2 hours.
3. Lift the pieces of fish out of the marinade, letting surplus liquid drain back into the bowl. Reserve the marinade.
4. Roll each piece of fish in flour to coat thoroughly. Beat the egg lightly in a shallow dish.
5. Heat the oil for frying to 190°C (375°F) or until a cube of dry bread turns golden in about 50 seconds.
6. Dip the fish, piece by piece into the beaten egg to coat lightly, and immediately lower into the hot fat. Do not crowd the pan.
7. Fry for 2-3 minutes, turning once or twice, until golden and crisp all over.
8. Lift out the fish with a slotted spoon, drain briefly on crumpled absorbent paper and pile up on a hot serving dish. Keep hot and repeat with the remaining fish.
9. Immediately before serving sprinkle with a little of the marinade.