serves 4 to 6
1/4 cup navy beans
3 pints chicken stock
3 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons Butter
2 carrots, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 leeks, trimmed, thinly sliced and washed
14 ounce can peeled tomatoes
1 tablespoon tomato puree
salt and pepper
2/3 cup spaghetti, broken up
Parmesan cheese to serve
1. Soak the beans in 1 pint of the stock overnight. The following day add a further 1 pint of stock and simmer the beans gently for 1 hour.
2. Heat the oil with the butter in a saucepan. Fry the carrots, onion, garlic and leeks in this mixture until soft and just beginning to colour, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, bouquet garni and simmered beans with any of their cooking liquid.
4. Season to taste, then pour in the remaining stock and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 1 hour or until the beans are tender.
5. Add the spaghetti and continue cooking for a further 10 to 15 minutes until tender.
6. Discard the bouquet garni, taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.