makes about 30 small scones
4 cup flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
1/4 cup fine sugar
1/2 pound Seedless white raisins or raisins
1/2 cup flaked almonds
2 medium-sized eggs
about 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) milk
beaten egg to glaze
1. Heat the oven to 220°C (425°F). Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
2. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, fruit and half the almonds.
3. Mix in the eggs with enough milk to bind to a soft dough. Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic.
4. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick, then cut into 2 inch circles.
5. Place the circles on a baking sheet and glaze with beaten egg.
6. Top with the rest of the almonds. Bake for 15 minutes and serve warm.