makes about 45
1/4 ounce dried yeast or 1/2 ounce fresh
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 cups All purpose flour
1 1/2 cups plain whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
1/2 cup olive oil
4 ripe tomatoes, diced
1 1/2 cups feta, crumbled
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1. Mix the yeast, sugar, 2 tablespoons of the All purpose flour and 1/4 cup warm water in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for 10 minutes, or until frothy.
2. Sift the remaining flours and cinnamon into a large bowl, return the husks to the bowl and stir through the sesame seeds and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pour in the oil and rub it in by lifting the flour mixture onto one hand and lightly rubbing the other hand over the top. Make a well in the centre and add the yeast mixture and about 1/4 cup warm water, or enough to mix to a soft but not sticky dough. Knead on a floured surface for about 2 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly oiled bowl, turning the dough to coat in the oil. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for 45 - 60 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
3. Preheat the oven to moderately hot 200°C (400°F). Lightly grease a baking tray. Punch down the dough to expel the air, divide it into three portions and roll each on a lightly floured surface into a long sausage shape about 12 inches long. Place the first roll on the baking tray. Cut through almost to the base of the roll at 3/4 inch intervals with a serrated knife (about 15 portions). Repeat with the remaining rolls.
4. Cover with a tea towel and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes, or until well risen. Bake for 30 minutes, or until browned underneath and the rolls sound hollow when tapped. Reduce the oven temperature to very slow 120°C (250°F). Cool the rolls on the tray for 5 minutes. Transfer each roll to a cutting board and cut through the markings. Place cut-side-up on two baking trays. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the tops feel dry. Turn each biscuit and bake for another 30 minutes, or until completely dry and crisp. Cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
5. Dunk each biscuit quickly into cold water and place on a tray. Top with the combined tomato and feta. Drizzle with the combined oil and vinegar and sprinkle with oregano. Season.