2 oven-ready partridges
1/4 cup butter
6 ounce rindless lean bacon, cut into strips
1/4 pint red wine
1/2 pint chicken stock
1 teaspoon tomato puree
salt and pepper
3/4 pound pickling on
1 clove garlic, crushed
6 ounce button mushrooms
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1. Brown the birds in 2 tablespoons of the butter. Transfer to an ovenproof casserole.
2. Brown the bacon, add the wine, stock and tomato puree; boil.
3. Pour into the casserole, adding the bouquet garni and seasoning. Cover and cook in a moderate oven (180°C, 350°F) for 30 minutes.
4. Brown the onions and garlic in the remaining butter. Stir in the mushrooms, add the mixture to the casserole with the parsley and cook for a further 30 minutes.
5. Cut each bird in half, remove the backbone and trim the bones; place in a serving dish.
6. Season the sauce and spoon over the birds.