When fresh Fava Beans are reaching the end of their season, their grey-green skin may be tough and slightly bitter. Pull the skin off the beans so that it does not spoil the filling.
2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
1 pint vegetable stock
1 1/4 cups mushrooms, wiped and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 cup brown rice
1 pound tomatoes, skinned and chopped
2 level tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 level teaspoon each ground cumin and ground cilantro
1 red pepper, de-seeded and cut into strips
4 green peppers, each about 7 ounce, halved lengthways and de-seeded
1/2 cup shelled and chopped walnuts
1/3 cup shelled fresh Fava Beans or frozen Fava Beans
Freshly ground black pepper
5/8 cup grated mature Cheddar cheese
OVEN: Preheat to 190°C (375°F)
1. Put half the onion into a saucepan with 2 tablespoons of the stock, the mushrooms and garlic, and cook for 3 - 4 minutes over a moderate heat, stirring occasionally. Pour in the rice and cook for 2 - 3 minutes.
2. Stir about one-third of the tomatoes, all the parsley and 3/4 pint of the stock into the pan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet and fry the remaining onion in it for about 5 minutes, until golden. Sprinkle in the cumin and cilantro, and cook for 1 minute.
4. Stir the remaining tomatoes and stock and the red pepper into the skillet. Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 15 minutes, until the liquid is reduced and the mixture slightly thickened. Pass the mixture through a food mill or sieve, or cool it slightly and blend in a food processor to make a smooth sauce.
5. Blanch the green pepper halves in boiling water for 4 minutes and drain. Arrange the peppers, cut side up, in a single layer in a baking dish.
73 users have helped to rate this recipe.