serves 2 - 3
1 medium-sized eggplant cut into 3/4 inch cubes
4 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons cold water
1 tablespoon butter
1. Put the eggplant cubes into a colander, scattering three-quarters of the salt between the layers. Weight with a plate. Leave for 1/2 hour to drain to extract the bitter juices from the vegetable
2. In a medium-sized frying-pan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Fry the onion, stirring occasionally, for 8 - 10 minutes or until it is golden brown.
3. Rinse and dry the eggplant cubes and then add them to the pan. Cook them, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Stir in the turmeric, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and half the quantity of pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer the eggplant mixture for 10 minutes or until the cubes are tender when pierced. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
4. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat the eggs, the remaining salt, the remaining pepper and the water together with a fork. Add the eggplant mixture and beat until the ingredients are well mixed. Set aside.
5. In a medium-sized omelet pan, melt the butter over moderate heat. When the foam subsides, pour in the egg mixture. Stir the eggs, then leave them for a few seconds until the bottom sets. Reduce the heat to low. Using a flat knife or spatula, lift the edge of the omelet and, at the same time, tilt the pan away from you, so that the liquid egg escapes from the top and runs into the pan. Put the pan down flat over the heat and leave until the omelet begins to set.
6. Invert a medium-sized plate over the pan and reverse the two. The omelet should fall on to the plate. Slide the omelet back into the pan, browned side uppermost, and continue cooking for 1 minute or until completely set.
7. Slide the omelet on to a heated serving dish. Cut into wedges and serve immediately, with a tomato salad.
24 users have helped to rate this recipe.
Cooking time: 1 - 1 1/4 hours