1 1/2 cups All purpose flour
pinch of salt
1/4 cup margarine
3 medium eggs, beaten
1/2 pint heavy cream, whipped
1/2 cup Confectioner’s sugar
1 level tablespoon cocoa
1. Preheat oven to hot, 220°C (450°F).
2. Grease a large baking sheet.
3. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
4. Put the margarine in a pan with 1/2 pint cold water. Heat gently until the margarine has melted but do not allow to boil.
5. Using a wooden spoon, mix in the flour. Beat well over a gentle heat until mixture leaves sides of pan.
6. Take off heat and allow to cool slightly.
7. Very gradually, add the beaten eggs to the mixture, beating all the time.
8. When the mixture is very smooth, put it in a piping bag fitted with a 3/4 inch plain nozzle.
9. Pipe 12 lines, each 5 inches long on two baking sheets.
10. Bake in the centre of the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and fairly crisp.
11. Cut each eclair in half and, using a small spoon, carefully scoop out any soft mixture.
12. Spoon cream into both the hollowed-out halves and sandwich together again.
13. Sift the Confectioner’s sugar with the cocoa. Add enough hot water to make an icing which will coat the back of a wooden spoon.
14. Spoon some icing on top of each bun, or quickly dip the top of each bun in icing. Leave to set and eat the same day.
Once you have mastered the art of choux pastry, Chocolate eclairs will become a simple to make treat for any occasion.