6 large mushrooms
pinch of mustard powder
pinch of fine sugar
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
4 tablespoons corn or olive oil
1/3 cup thick or whipping cream
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 ounce ham
finely chopped parsley sprigs
1. Wipe mushrooms and trim off stalks level with caps. Place mushrooms in a single layer, gills facing upward, in a shallow dish. Put mustard, sugar and seasoning in a bowl.
2. Add vinegar and oil and blend with a fork. Pour the marinade over the mushrooms.
3. Cover the dish with foil and leave in a cold place for 4 - 8 hours.
4. Spoon the marinade over mushrooms 2 - 3 times.
5. Whip the cream until it stands in stiff peaks. Stir in the lemon juice.
6. Stir the celery and ham into the cream with the chopped herbs and season to taste.
7. Transfer the mushrooms from the marinade into a serving dish. Stir any leftover marinade into the cream mixture.
8. Using a small spoon, divide the stuffing between the mushrooms, mounding it in the centre of each. Garnish with parsley.