Perfect for fruit tarts and summer desserts of all sorts, this pastry should be used as a lining but not as a topping.
will line 2 x 9 hole tart tins or 2 x 9 inch flan tins or rings (quiche pans)
2 1/2 cups All purpose flour
pinch of salt
2 teaspoons superfine sugar
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 medium-sized egg yolk
2 teaspoons cold water
1. Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl. Add the fat and use a palette knife or spatula to cut it into the flour until it is in pea-sized pieces.
2. With the fingertips, rub the fat into the flour, lifting it up high and rubbing it with your thumbs on top. Let it fall back into the bowl to keep cool.
3. When it resembles even breadcrumbs, mix together the egg and water, sprinkle on half the egg and mix and stir with a knife, until it clings together.
4. Add the rest of the egg and water, as necessary, and with your hands, draw the dough together into a ball, picking up the crumbs.
5. Place the dough on a work surface and knead lightly until smooth. Wrap and chill dough for 30 minutes before using