A simple, creamy sauce made with pureed lima beans, oregano and lemon juice complements the intense, slightly caramelised flavours of lightly grilled, chunky vegetables.
1 medium eggplant
1 red onion
2 large zucchinis
1 yellow pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounce canned lima beans
1 clove garlic
6 sprigs of fresh oregano
Salt and black pepper
6 black olives
1. Preheat the grill to high. Rinse and dry the eggplant, trim off the ends and cut it horizontally into slices 1/2 inch thick. Peel the onion and cut it into quarters.
2. Rinse the zucchinis, trim off the ends and halve lengthways. Rinse, deseed and quarter the pepper.
3. Pour half the oil into a saucer and oil the vegetables with a pastry brush. Grill them for 6-8 minutes, turning them halfway through and basting again if necessary
4. Meanwhile, tip the beans and their liquid into a food processor and squeeze the juice from the half lemon over them. Peel the garlic and crush it into the bowl, then process until smooth.
5. Rinse the oregano, strip off the leaves and tear them into the pureed beans. Add the remaining olive oil, season to taste, then process briefly
6. Put the grilled vegetables onto individual plates, pour on the sauce and garnish with the black olives. Serve hot with the olive bread.