serves 4 to 6
3 tablespoons butter
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 pound potatoes, chopped
1 1/2 pints chicken or veal stock
salt and pepper
pinch of grated nutmeg
1 egg yolk
1/4 pint light cream
chopped chives to garnish
1. Wash and trim the leeks, removing most of the green part, then finely slice the remainder.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan and fry the leeks and onion in it for 5 minutes without browning.
3. Add the potatoes, stock, seasoning and nutmeg, and bring to the boil.
4. Cover the pan and simmer the soup for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
5. Sieve or liquidise the soup, return it to the pan and reheat until it is almost boiling.
6. Blend the egg yolk into the cream, then whisk into the soup and reheat gently without boiling.
7. Adjust the seasoning, cool and chill thoroughly. Serve the soup sprinkled with the chives.